Tuesday, December 11, 2007

The Fruit Diet

I want to go on the fruit diet, and like many other realities in the upside-down world of the Kingdom, the diet I discipline myself for is for other people around me more than for my own benefit. Think of all the bright colored, sweet things others could be seeing and enjoying in me--cold, crisp Fuji apples (love), cute little seedless and easy-to-peel clementines (joy), those ultra-sweet pears from Harry and David (peace), and those fuzzy little kiwi fruits from far-away New Zealand (patience). The result is a more energized, better-looking me that fits in the spiritual clothes I want to wear. Just like when one person goes on the South Beach diet and shapes up, it makes everyone else want to shape up too. That's what I want to do for the body of Christ. Instead, I often succumb to my diet of "pecan pie" (jealousy), "French fries" (bursts of anger), and "doughnuts"(it's-all-about-Me thoughts), which equates to a lazy, indulgent, overweight me with untoned muscles. I know it's almost Christmas when we think it's OK to indulge, but I want to have the January, new-start mentality all year round.

No comments: