Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Clouds, smartwater, and other pure thoughts


I'm not really sure why certain shapes appeal to your sense of design more than others, but the Glaceau smartwater bottles are irresistable to this normally sales-resistant Scotch soul of mine. Coming back from a recent trip, I made my purchase at the Shell station and was dreamily watching the billowy clouds out the window in the passenger seat as we slid down I40 (sheer contentment!) and casually read the copy on the back: "Is it just us or do clouds get a bad rap? while we admit they're not as great to have around on a beach day, as say, the sun, clouds are unsung heroes because they contain nature's purest source of water...".


My mind drifted to Joni Mitchell's song, "I've looked at clouds from both sides now..." then to riding in the window seat of an airliner, dreaming about walking on the clouds, thinking how God looks down on the earth... I'm back home on a dreary rainy day, and when I got ready to write about this, I looked up the lyrics for that song--what a depressing song!


"Bows and flows of angel hair and ice cream castles in the airAnd feather canyons everywhere, i've looked at cloud that way.But now they only block the sun, they rain and snow on everyone.So many things i would have done but clouds got in my way...."


"Moons and junes and ferris wheels, the dizzy dancing way you feelAs every fairy tale comes real; i've looked at love that way.But now it's just another show. you leave 'em laughing when you goAnd if you care, don't let them know, don't give yourself away."


"Tears and fears and feeling proud to say "i love you" right out loud,Dreams and schemes and circus crowds, i've looked at life that way.But now old friends are acting strange, they shake their heads, they sayI've changed.Something's lost but something's gained in living every day."


Joni, I wish I could sit down with you and give you a better perspective. There is much to be gained in living every day, knowing that the reality is the sun that is always there, regardless of the clouds we see. Enjoy the "angel hair and feather canyons"! Walking by faith and not by sight gives us "x-ray vision" to see beyond and REALLY KNOW the One who spoke it all into existence, the One who is preparing a place for us--all paradise, no clouds.

1 comment:

Jerry James said...

Good to hear your thoughts, Gloria. So many of the "really cool" songs we used to listen to are really pretty sad indeed.
We are so blessed to know the truth, there are so many who do not.
Speaking of clouds . . . you need to check out the photos someone took of the skies over the house of prayer in KC.
I think of you and John often. I have your picture on the wall in my office.
Blessings and honor,
Jerry